Birthday cards are meaningless without birthday card sayings accompanying the
images on the card.
Happy birthday sayings can be humorous, serious, sentimental, romantic, naughty, religious or off-the wall. In fact, greeting card companies pay people extremely well for creating birthday wishes that appeal to any kind of situation concerning birthday congratulations.
During the 19th and early 20th century, birthday sayings included on cards were
generic, stating things like “Birthday Greetings,” “Happy Birthday to You” and “On
Your Joyous Birthday.”
Images were lush and colorful, however, consisting of vivid roses, pastoral scenes, birds, butterflies and cherubs.
A child's birthday card usually showed pictures of other children, puppies, kittens and toys popular in that time, with the same type of message.
It was not until the 1950s that birthday card sayings began to demonstrate humor, creativity and comical references to old age.
Established in 1910, Hallmark cards are still the most popular brand of greeting cards people send today. Some funny card birthday sayings you will find on a card made by Hallmark include:
• A good father shows you how to use a hammer. A great father teaches you what to holler when you hit your thumb. Happy birthday to a great father!
• Lead us not into temptation—not counting ice cream and cake.
• We have had a lot of great memories, brother.... like the day you were born and mom and dad brought you home from the vet. Happy Birthday!
• You are not getting old—you were old last year!
• The bad news is your vision gets worse with age—the good news is you can't see what's happening to your body.
• (Belated birthday card sayings) Many things improve with age. Memory is not one of them. Sorry I missed your birthday! - or
I did not forget your birthday. I just forgot to put a stamp on the envelope!
• You have so many wonderful qualities that I just have to say—like mother, like daughter!
The other major greeting card company in direct competition with Hallmark is American Greetings.
Examples of birthday card sayings found on American Greeting cards are:
• Birthday ninjas (funny picture of cartoon ninja on card).... they sneak up on you like regular ninjas!
• Harold the hyena just found out how old you are...(recipient opens card and is greeted by a laughing hyena sound)
• A wise man once said, "Don't count your years, make your years count.” ...Or was it "beers?" Either way, that is pretty good advice. Happy Birthday!
American Greetings provides customers with the choice of purchasing a paper card, sending an e-card or printing a personalized card complete with birthday card sayings, directly from their website.
Humorous birthday card sayings from one woman to another include:
• I'm at an age when my back goes out more than I do.
• You are not 40, you are eighteen with 22 years experience.
• There is a world record that I think you will break
Some time in the next few years -it's candles on a cake.
• Few women will admit their age but few men act theirs!
• Age is not important unless you're a cheese.
• When you're 20 and pretty, then you're rather like Switzerland—beautiful
• Both women and melons are best when they are fairly ripe. --Spanish proverb
• The years that a woman subtracts from her age are not lost. They
are added to the ages of other women.
Diane de Poitiers
• When a man has a birthday, he takes a day off. When a woman has a
birthday, she takes at least three years off.
• There are three stages of man: he believes in Santa Claus; he
doesn't believe in Santa Claus; he is Santa Claus.
• You know you are getting old when the candles cost more than the
• You know you're getting old when you get that one candle on the
cake. It's like, "See if you can blow this out."
• After a man passes sixty, his mischief is mainly in his
• Youth is when you're allowed to stay up late on New Year's Eve.
Middle age is when you're forced to.
• First you forget names, then you forget faces, then you forget to
pull your zipper up, then you forget to pull your zipper down.
• By the time you are 80, you have learned everything. You only have
to remember it.
• Forget about the past, you can't change it. Forget about the
future, you can't predict it. Forget about the present, I didn't get
Turning 50 is one of the major milestones in someone's life because it is considered the point where a person is no longer thought of as young and unsettled but someone who is on their way to old age.
It is a time when people are usually settled in a certain job, been married and have adult children who no longer depend on them for economic support.
Birthday card sayings for 50th birthdays are almost always humorous and have been popularized by the “Over the Hill” line of birthday products.
“Turning 50 means that you've met so many people that every new
person you meet reminds you of someone else.”
“You know you're getting old when all the names in your black book
have M.D. after them.”
“There are numerous advantages in being fifty – ask any eighty year old!” Anonymous
“In your fifties time becomes precious and must not to be wasted.
Every minute is an excellent opportunity for a good nap.”
“When you’re fifty-something children may innocently ask you if you
had a pet dinosaur when you were young.”
• Turning 50 means that when you feel athletic you go to a sports
• Turning 50 years old means your bodywork and mechanics need slight attention but at least you still run on gas.
• After you're 50 if it doesn't hurt it probably doesn't work.
• Happy 50th Birthday. Let's crack open a bottle of prune juice.
• At 50, you'll have the choice of many temptations, but being 50 also means you'll probably choose the option that gets you home earliest.
• Hi ho, hi ho, it's over the hill you go!
• You know you are getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair that you once got from a roller coaster.
• You're not over the hill until you hear your favorite songs in an elevator!
Here are some cute Happy Birthday sayings you can put in homemade cards for your children, grandchildren, nieces or nephews:
Today's the day
We get to say
We're happy you're on your way
To being (age) Hooray!
• Hooray! Hooray! You're finally 5
Bet you thought this day
would never arrive.
• You've had a spectacular year
Your grades and behavior we hear
From all relatives concerned,
It seems you have earned
A more generous curfew...my dear.
• Cake and ice cream
Candles and balloons
Joy and laughter
Everybody will be here soon
Gifts and hugs
Time for celebration
Happy birthday to you
Hop on at the birthday train station!
Birthday card sayings for couples can also be romantic poems, song lyrics or quotes.
However, romance does not have to be all serious!
• On your birthday, I am so very happy
to have shared life with you another year,
basking in the special light of your love.
May your birthday be filled
with joy, satisfaction
and the kind of amazing happiness
I feel whenever I’m with you.
• Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be.
• A cake I have bought
A little gift I have got
Just two of us tonight, I thought
A little romance to make things hot.
Hugs, kisses and the lot
Your dream birthday is my plot
To make you feel loved, I ought
For in my heart you occupy a special spot.
• From a guy to his girl:
I love you more than football
and even more than beer!
Just don’t tell the guys I said that!
Happy Birthday Sweetheart
• You’re the sweetest husband in the world,
and you know how I can’t resist anything sweet.
• From husband to wife:
There are THREE LITTLE WORDS that I too seldom say,
THREE LITTLE WORDS that can brighten your day.
So to show you my feelings beyond any doubt,
I'll whisper those THREE LITTLE WORDS...
Let’s Eat Out!
You can use any of these birthday card sayings or create original
message to write in homemade birthday cards that say exactly how you
Visit Birthday Clip Art to save and print a variety of exciting birthday graphics with which to use on your card and surprise the recipient with a special birthday greeting you've made just for them.
Back to the top of this page about Birthday Card Sayings, Funny Birthday Messages
Visit Homepage and other pages here on Clipartqueen.com related to this one:
|Homepage||Birthday Ideas||Printable Cards||Birthday Clipart|
|Birthday Quotes||Birthday Messages||Funny Birthday Cards||Precious Moments|
|site search by freefind|
Hot pages right now:
Fall leaves clipart
Halloween Coloring Pages
Party Clip Art
Thanksgiving coloring pages
Space clip art
Koi Fish Drawings
Penguin clip art
Dinosaur Clip Art
Animal clip art